Today I got all the parts ordered.
I managed to find some 7mm x 1.5mm black plastic binding at http://www.luthierssupplies.co.uk/
The strap buttons, 500k pots, an on/on/on toggle switch, and two knurled chome knobs with a black pearl top inlay, from http://axesrus.co.uk/
Lastly I called up Joel at Shanghai Guitars and ordered the pair of chrome Filtertrons. Joel is a top bloke and we spoke for about 45 mins – covering subjects as diverse as Airline/Eastwood guitars, the geography of Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri, how weird Canadians are (in a good way) and the guitar shops of Frankfurt.
The proper work has continued. Today it has been all about the neck. First I drilled the headstock holes out to 9mm. This picture shows the rather nice curl on the maple that was hidden under the black lacquer.
I used a Stanley knife to cut grooves into a piece of 9mm dowel. This is because it is a fairly tight fit into the holes in the headstock and I want to make sure the glue doesn’t all get squeezed out. I trimmed them into six lengths and chamfered one end.
I tapped them in with a soft-faced mallet.
After allowing them to dry I trimmed the excess and sanded them flush.
Using the table saw I cut two thin strips of sapele veneer from one of the body offcuts. I cleaned up the centre edges with a Stanley knife, stuck them together with Sellotape…
…and then glued and clamped them to the headstock.
After the clamps came off I trimmed the headstock to shape on the bandsaw and sanded the edges smooth.
The next job was to drill the new holes for the tuners. I marked up the headstock and drilled a 2mm pilot hole for each right through. Then, from the front, I drilled an 8mm hole 6mm deep for the tuner ferrule. From the back I drilled a 6mm hole right through for the tuner post.
I mounted the tuners to test the position. Here it is from the back…
…and from the front.
Here are the neck and body together, showing the matching body and headstock.