Finishing off the Minibass

Just about there now. I found a couple of old “top hat” knobs in my parts bin. In the spirit of using stuff I already had, these seemed to fit the theme.

As I was wiring it up and testing it out one of the biggest problems I found was that the string anchor holes were too close to the bridge which gave a very steep break angle. This had the effect of canting the bridge saddle forward, so that the main weight of the strings was actually pushing against the back edge of the saddle slot. This meant that there was very little downward pressure onto the piezo pickup. For now I’ve implemented a bodger’s solution of a rounded bar which forces a much shallower break angle over the strings. I may just live with it and call it the Sustain-o-Bar™.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s