Carving the neck, first with a rasp…
…and then with a spokeshave.
Last night I strung it up (E and G strings) and adjusted the bridge until the intonation was correct. Here are the marks.
I glued the bridge into position and then glued up and clamped in the neck too.
With the spindle sander in the drill I shaped the heel and upper reaches of the neck.
I used the radiused sanding block to shape the top edge of the bridge saddle and nut. First I covered the edge with pencil and then sanded until it was gone.
Then I strung it up to check everything aligned correctly, marked the position of the strings on the nut and saddle and filed the slots for them.
The last piece of woodworking required is to cut the control cavity and cover. I’ve been investigating ways of using a single template to cut both, to guarantee that they match exactly. I finally tracked down the approach, which involves using the 5mm cutter, a 17mm collar and a 27mm collar. I had everything except the 27mm collar so while I’m waiting for that to arrive there’s not much else to do. I’ll write up the details of how I propose to use the two collars and one cutter when I get the chance.