Minibass: Gluing up the body blank and making a scarf joint headstock

I assembled all of the pieces of scrap timber for the body and trimmed them to around 38mm thick. I then ran them through the table saw to make sure each jointing face was flat and true. I then shade the edge of each jointing face with pencil and use my flat sanding block to remove all the pencil marks.

I gathered together a selection of clamps that are large enough for the job.

My initial thought was to glue on the first two pieces, let that dry, glue on the next two pieces, etc, and then I realised that, even with cauls, the clamping pressure would deform the edge of the wood I was about to join next. This lead me to tackle it all in one go.

I left that for a couple of hours for the Titebond Original to do what it does so well. It doesn’t finish drying properly for 24 hours, but, as long as the join isn’t put under any stress, the clamps can be removed after an hour. I set to work on making the headstock scarf joint.

I marked up the angle of 17 degrees and cut it on the bandsaw freehand.

The headstock portion is flipped over to make the joint.

I glued and clamped that up and then I was in a position to go back to the body blank. I roughly trimmed the ends and then skimmed the surfaces front and back to level and clean them up. Here it is dry and then dampened to show the grain.

And in idle moments while that was going on, and now I know the size of the body blank I’ve got to work with, I took a spare sheet of MDF and drew a 1:1 scale image of what I’m shooting for.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s