Well yesterday I ran out of patience. The VOC smell had gone and I couldn’t mark the lacquer when pressed in the pickup rout with a fingernail, so it got sanded back with 1200 and then 1500 and polished with a auto paint restorer followed by a good thick coating of wax polish.
Late yesterday and today I got it setup close to how I like but I’ll leave the neck under tension for a couple of weeks before finalising the truss rod adjustment and the nut slots.
After playing it for a couple of hours I’ve decided that I’m not 100% happy with the neck profile. That’s the beauty of the Danish oil finish though. I’ve just been able to break out the cabinet scrapers and reprofile the neck. I’ll play it for a few more hours tonight to see how it feels and, if I’m happy with it, refinish the neck tomorrow.