First job today was to redo a couple of yesterday’s side dots that I wasn’t happy with, and then it was on to fretting the neck.
First I made a simple fretwire bender. I used the new router’s circular cut jig to trim the end of a piece of 12mm MDF to an 8.25″ radius. My fretboard radius is 10″ so I need the wire bent to a slightly tighter curve.
I then cut a slot across the top with a junior hacksaw and, hey presto, fret bender.
Once bent I tapped in the two ends…
…trimmed it to length…
…and then finished seating the fret with three or four firm strikes with my copper hammer.
After that I clamped each edge of the frets and wicked in some CA glue to hold the fret ends.
I saw this technique posted in a thread over at TDPRI, showing how PRS do their frets. If it is good enough for Carlos, then it is good enough for me.